Where to Place the Bird Bath
By David Fishman
When it comes to providing a place for birds in your area to splash, bathe, play, and drink, a bird bath can please both the feathered and human inhabitants of the property. Bird baths serve as a huge draw to entice birds of all types to your yard, and in turn, the birds receive a necessary place to refresh themselves on hot summer days or chilly winter nights. Before you purchase a bird bath, first consider where you will place the bird bath in your yard or garden to ensure the specific style you wish will fit the outdoor space.
You have countless options when it comes to where to place a bird bath, but the most popular places include:
- Decks or Porches: If you do not have a great deal of space in your yard, or do not have a yard at all, consider purchasing a bird bath that affixes to the railings on a deck of porch. In addition to having the bird bath close to reach for refilling, installing a bird bath on your deck or porch will allow you to enjoy the birds that flock to your bath up close and personal.
- Up in the Trees: What better place to put a bath for your birds than up in the trees? Choose a hanging bird bath that will suspend in your trees so that your birds will not have to leave home to get a drink of water or take a bath. Consider hanging a bird bath near a window so that you can enjoy the birds while they splish and splash. However, keep in mind that bird baths will need to be cleaned and refilled, so avoid hanging a bird bath too far out of your reach so that you will not be able to properly maintain the bath.
- In Your Garden: If space permits, consider creating a sanctuary for the birds in your area. Use stylish bird baths to add style and flair to your yard or garden. Since running water is popular with birds, often enticing them to visit your bird bath over a neighbor's bird bath, use a fountain bird bath to add a special touch. In addition to enticing the birds in your area, the tranquil sound of running water will allow you to enjoy your outdoor space and relax in your garden.
- Under the Trees: Since many birds seek the shelter of bird baths to escape from summer''s oppressive heat, placing a bird bath under the shade of trees in your yard will further entice birds to your area. However, keep in mind that the leaves and other debris from the trees can cause the bird bath to become dirty quicker so that it requires cleaning more frequently. Also, the blocked view from the trees may not allow you to see the birds that visit your yard and enjoy the bird bath. Generally, individuals choose to place bird baths in open places to prevent hassles associated with frequent cleanings.
- Near Your Home: Watching birds frolic will allow you to relax and unwind in your own home. Place your bird bath near a window that will allow you to oversee your feathered friends. Great places to watch birds include the kitchen, living room, bed room, or home office. Imagine taking a break from work to enjoy watching the birds or watching the flock while washing dishes in your kitchen.
Wherever you decide to place your bird bath in your yard or garden, remember the reason: to entice birds to your yard. Furthermore, consider the great variety of styles and sizes that will allow you to find a bath that matches your personal tastes.
Be sure to check back to www.agway.com for more information, projects and tips. Visit your local Agway where you'll find everything you need, year-round, for your home, lawn, garden, farm, pet and wild birding needs. Each Agway location is independently owned and operated and as such products and pricing vary by store.